What is Dental-filling ?
Dental Filling is a treatment modality to restore missing tooth structure which could have been a result of decay or trauma. Decay makes tooth hollow. Dental Filling helps to fill this gap and protect it from further decay. A filling is also used to repair broken or cracked tooth and the teeth which wear off due to dental habits like teeth grinding, nail biting etc.
When does someone needs Dental-filling ?
There are various signs and symptoms where fillings can be required. The symptoms could be as below:
- A hole in your tooth
- Dark spots on the tooth
- Food stuck between certain areas of the teeth
- Chipped or broken tooth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food and beverage
- Single or multiple cavities
If you come across any of the symptoms as mentioned above, then there is a chance that you need a filling. The final decision will be of your dentist after a thorough oral examination.
What is the procedure of Dental-filling ?
Dental Filling is normally required if your tooth is decayed. It can prevent further damage and can protect your tooth.
- The very first step in this process is to see how severe the infected tooth is. This is because Dental Filling is only suitable for minor fractures and decay
- The dentist then examines the tooth and if required an X-ray would be done for precise information
- Depending upon the extent of decay, local anesthesia is administered to make the area around the infected tooth numb
- Then the decayed or damaged tooth or the areas around it is prepared for restoration
- If the tooth is damaged, then a dental handpiece or a laser can be used to remove the damaged part
- A filling is then applied to the area to fill the cavity. The type of filling will depend upon case to case and person to person
- Finally, the finished tooth can be polished to conclude the dental filling procedure
Types of Dental-filling ?
Dental Fillings are of various types. The type of filling to be used will depend upon the condition of decay and other factors such as a person being allergic to a material. The different type of fillings available are:
This old age filling is long lasting. In this type, Silver Filling is comparatively inexpensive. But gold though expensive is a preferred choice. Because they can withstand chewing forces and last usually from 10-15 years.
These are the most researched and widely used by dental professionals since quite long now. They are made of several metals combined and therefore, they have high strength.
These are of the same color as your teeth. These are preferred if a person does not want their filing to be seen. It is recommended & suitable for front teeth. It bonds well with the tooth structure. It is also used for a chipped tooth, however, does not last long as compared to metal and amalgam filling and can also wear off with time.
Porcelain / Ceramic Filling
The porcelain filling is best suited if you have serious aesthetic concerns. These cover most part of the tooth, as a result, can be used if the decay is large enough. This long-lasting filling does not stain or wear off easily.