What is Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a surgical fixture that is placed into the jawbone and allowed to fuse with the bone over the span of a few months. In simple terms, it is tooth root replacement. It provides a strong foundation for fixed or removable replacement. Earlier, the only treatment for missing teeth were bridges and dentures but now dental implants have surpassed that technique proving itself as the best way to fix missing teeth problems in all age of people.
Why Dental Implants ?
People go for dental implants to replace teeth that have either got rotten or broken due to some reason. Earlier the only treatment to fix this issue was to wear a removable denture but with the advancement in treatment, dentists nowadays fit permanent implants.
Dental Implant becomes very necessary in cases like-
- You start facing speech problems from the gap created by the missing teeth.
- Denting facial appearance due to sagging of facial muscles at cheeks.
- Missing front teeth make you unable to smile and feel confident in public
- Difficulty in chewing
- Pain in the jaw resulting in an improper bite
- Tooth decay or gum disease
Procedure of Dental Implants?
The process of getting a dental implant takes several months to complete.
Step 1 – The process starts with the jawbone preparation. The dentist first makes a cut to expose the bone for drilling holes.
Step 2 – The next step starts with making a deep hole for the implant to be placed properly.
Step 3 – After a little wait for the jawbone to heal, the metal post is placed inside the hole.
Step 4 – After the entire process, a temporary crown is given to the patient to fill the gap. The entire process takes months to heal.
Step 5 – During the healing process, the jawbone grows and unite with the surface of the dental implant. (It usually takes 3 to 6 months depending upon the bone health)
Step 6 – The second surgery is performed after a few months when the implants are fused with the bones. This surgery is done to make an incision to expose the heads of the implants.
Step 7 – After complete healing, another surgery is performed to place the abutment.
All this procedure might feel hectic and painful. But this is not true to the fact. The surgeries are performed after giving the anaesthesia to the patients. And during the time of healing, the patient is asked to eat only soft food.
Advantages of Dental
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And with time they get fused with the bone and become permanent.
- Improved speech. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Since implants get fused with the bones, you do not have to worry about taking it out for cleaning, etc. They become part of you eliminating the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Removable dentures can cause discomfort while eating or chewing. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat anything without knowing that you have an implant surgery done (though only after the complete healing)